Wheal Coates is a disused tin mine, located between Porthowan and St. Agnes, on the North Coast of Cornwall.
Earliest records indicate a mine at the site since 1692. The present mine opened in 1802 and was closed in 1889 when the price of tin fell. It came into full production in 1815. Flooding and bringing ore to the surface were the main problems of the mine until steam-driven equipment was available, as the mine’s underground operations extended for some distance under the sea. It is now owned and maintained by the National Trust.